Edmond North Vs. Santa Fe Football Recap

The Edmond North student section rushes the field after the win. (photo credit Ethan Unsell)

The Edmond North Huskies (2-4) defeated in-city rivals Edmond Santa Fe (0-5) in a tightly contested matchup with the score being 36-35 for the Huskies second win in the season. This was one of the most exciting games of the season having both sides of the stadium filled with fans. The first few drives for both teams were scoreless until Santa Fe scored a touchdown to lead the game 7-0. The Huskies responded the next drive with a touchdown of their own. As a few more drives progressed, both the Huskies and the Wolves would score, but the extra point for the Huskies was blocked and the Wolves led with a score of 14-13. The Wolves would score again, but the Huskies wouldn’t give up scoring their own touchdown and getting a two-point conversion to tie the game 21-21 going to the half. Because Santa Fe received the ball to start the game, the Huskies would get the ball to start the half. It made an opportunity for the Huskies to grab their first lead, and they capitalized by taking the 28-21 lead where it stayed for the majority of the third quarter.

The Wolves would later score to tie the game at 28 before scoring again to push their lead to seven with a score of 35-28. The Huskies would lose the ball and the Wolves would regain possession deep in their own territory. The Husky defense forced a three and out and the Santa Fe punter shanked it giving the Huskies prime field position to try and tie the game. A drive that had a few penalties on it ended up having the Huskies in a tough three-and-long situation with a touchdown being their last hope for the game. In what was a beautiful pass from Pryce Bender to Star Receiver Sedrick Frazier, the Huskies scored the touchdown having the fans on their feet in what was one of the loudest moments ever in Husky Stadium. As the field goal unit headed onto the field and got in position to tie the game, Coach Roof called a timeout. It was in this timeout that he decided to make one of the riskiest decisions in football, going for two. With the game on the line, he decided to win or go home. Everyone was on the edge of their seat as both teams headed back on the field. Pryce Bender made a pass under immense pressure to Johnathan Sauer to make the two-point conversion. All the nervous energy built up by the home side was released as the North student section roared with cheers. There were about 2 minutes to go and everyone was left wondering, did the Huskies leave too much time on the clock for the Wolves to have a good drive and get to field goal range? The Huskies sent in Sedrick Frazier to play defense with a Santa Fe team struggling to pass the ball. On the first play of the drive, the Santa Fe QB underthrew a pass right into the hands of Sedrick who grabbed the interception and ran up the field before being shoved out of bounds.

With 1:40 to go the Huskies had enough time to knee it since Santa Fe was out of timeouts. The clock hit four zeroes and in a tightly contested and exciting matchup, the Huskies won 36-35 and went to celebrate with their fellow students on the track in what was their first win against Santa Fe in 8 games. I spoke with Nathan Self, who was working with the broadcast crew for the game. “When I first heard about the game I didn’t know how it would turn out, but as the game progressed we started to look really good, that touchdown and 2-point conversion had me on the edge of my seat. I’m so proud to be a Husky right now.” The Huskies head to Owasso for their next matchup against the Rams.