North News Now
The Student News Site of Edmond North High School

The Pawprint | ENHS

The Pawprint | ENHS

The Pawprint | ENHS

Rasheeda’s Declassified Guide to Manage Stress during Finals

Photo Taken by Gitashri Gopalakrishnan

The semester is coming to an end, and final exams are creeping up on us quickly. I know just how overwhelming finals can get—the pressure to perform well can quickly become overbearing and too difficult to manage. The emotions snowball, and you can find yourself paralyzed with anxiety.  

As a senior (and a perpetually stressed student), I’ve picked up a few strategies to manage and mitigate stress during finals season that I’m ready to share.

Take Care of Yourself

No matter how chaotic the end of the semester gets, always remember to make some time for yourself. 

Don’t skimp out on sleep just to study—it’s never worth it. I promise you, an all-nighter is not the way to go. In fact, studies show that your memory retention gets worse when you’re sleep deprived. 

I cannot stress this one enough—do not drink excessive amounts of caffeine. It does not work in the long term (trust me, I’ve tried). Your stomach will HURT and the crash will be awful. 

Make time for your friends, family and hobbies. The rest of your life is just as important as your exams. Carving out time for yourself will also keep you grounded. In my experience, locking myself in my room all night to study has almost always done more harm than good. 

So, light a candle, get some sleep and prioritize yourself! 

Get Organized and Do Not Procrastinate

Stress can be debilitating, but if you procrastinate, those feelings will only worsen. 

I know, I know—it can feel impossible to have any sort of system in place when you have what seems like a million classes to study for. But trust me on this one—organization is what will set you up for success. 

Make yourself a study plan. Grab a planner and set a dedicated time each day for certain subjects. This way, you can get more done and hold yourself accountable to the standards that you set. It’s also a great way to stay on top of deadlines. 

Getting and staying organized will also help you break down your tasks. Studying for so many exams can feel like an insurmountable task, but if you break all your tasks up, it will be far more manageable. 

Be Kind to Yourself 

Give yourself a pat on the back for everything that you’ve achieved up to this point. 

I like to reward myself every time I finish a really hard task. Get a coffee, a little treat, or allow yourself 15 minutes to scroll mindlessly through TikTok. Believe it or not, this will also help you to be less stressed. 

Stress can be a catalyst to many other negative emotions. When you are a little kinder to yourself and reward yourself for all you have done, you will realize that you are capable of making it through finals. Take a deep breath, and cut yourself a little bit of slack. 

Finals can feel like the end of the world. I promise you that they aren’t. Make sure to take care of yourself, stay organized, and be kind to yourself. Follow these tips, and hopefully you will be able to manage the stress that is felt by all of us during finals. 

I wish you nothing but the best. Good luck on your finals! Manifesting all A’s!