North News Now
The Student News Site of Edmond North High School

The Pawprint | ENHS

The Pawprint | ENHS

The Pawprint | ENHS

The Get in Shape Starter Pack

Recently, I went on a light jog with my best friend, and when I fell behind over ten feet, I realized how out of shape I had become and how bad my physical health was getting. 

That’s why my new year resolution is to get back in shape! 

Getting back in shape is not easy for everybody — me included. I wasn’t sure what to do to easily incorporate exercise in my daily routine. It took a little time and effort to find what works for me, but I’ve come up with some ways to help me tackle my fitness goals.

So, here are some of the cheapest and easiest ways I’ve found to get into shape.

Free Exercise for Free

Grace Can

You don’t need a gym membership to get in shape and those prices are not beginner friendly anyway. All you really need is yourself and your motivation to workout. You can start with something simple like free exercise. Get yourself an exercise mat for planks, sit ups and other bodyweight exercises. A sturdy mat will keep you balanced, reducing the risk of injuries; it’s recommended to use one of these rather than the floor.

Here are some beginner-friendly exercises that only use a mat:

To increase your strength and get more toned, then you should try some pilates.

https://youtu.be/m5DJMRYDSc0?si=3Si2vL2o77MFLCds 

However, if you want to improve flexibility and reduce stress, then yoga may be best for you.

https://youtu.be/j7rKKpwdXNE?si=a9kjoQ02nkVTaWK2 

Chasing Your Goals

Injury map

If you don’t want to workout inside and like to explore the outdoors, then you should consider running as another alternative. Running is a simple way to stay in shape and enjoy some fresh air in your lungs. It improves your flexibility, agility and focus. It’s also a great form of cardio, which is exercise that increases your heart rate and burns fat. Lots of people run to maintain their fitness lifestyle and all you really need is a good pair of shoes. If you already own a pair, I’d recommend double checking that the soles are in good shape before using them. 

Finally, if you have trouble keeping track of your runs, there are many apps for you to try to do it for you, like Runtracker.

To learn more and to know right forms for running, check this video out

https://youtu.be/AIM_p46cua8?si=ifICBNzLefERNBVU 

Lift Yourself Up

Caitlin-marie

If you need to get bigger and build more muscle, weight lifting is just for you. Weight lifting is a form of exercise that helps you grow your muscles and tone your body. Grab some dumbbells that you are comfortable lifting and start putting in the reps. Even though it is a little more cost inducing to buy the dumbbells required for it, it will be a life-long investment to do so and is better than spending monthly on a gym membership—especially for those still testing the waters. 

How do you know which weight is right for you? If you can’t do 10 reps at one weight, it’s too heavy; if you can easily do around 10 reps of it, that’s when you’ve found the sweet spot. 

You need to do 2–4 sets of these for each muscle group, with 4–12 exercises in total per week when lifting weights. 

Here are some weight training exercises using dumbbells that beginners can do at home  

https://youtu.be/0yYiErHenzs?si=B2nc7muffGjLrTHU 

To get into shape, working out is the key solution, but what you do outside of working out is much more important. While working out, you micro-tear your muscle fibres, and what you do outside of the gym—like sleeping and eating—helps to rebuild them. You need to eat healthy and drink enough water to maintain that healthy body to get in shape. 

Drink Your Problems Away

Synapse health

Let’s start with water—water keeps you hydrated and healthy before, during and after workouts. Staying hydrated is a great way to keep your body cool and reduce thrust and soreness.

If you don’t already have one, you should buy yourself a large, insulated water bottle from any nearby store. It’s recommended that you drink two liters a day for optimal hydration, so make sure to find one that can easily carry 30+ ounces. Bring this with you every time you exercise, it’s necessary to your progress!

Protein for Bro-teens

American Heart Association

For your diet, protein is the most important nutrient in your fitness journey. Protein is a nutrient that helps you build and repair muscle, especially after an intense workout. 

Make sure that you eat the right amount of protein in every meal you consume (for most, this is anywhere between 35–60 grams)

A simple protein shake or protein bar can help you meet your protein requirements post-workout, but make sure you’re getting plenty of protein in your regular meals as well. 

Try chicken, beans and rice for a high-protein, low-fat dish. This is an easy recipe that you can try from home: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/black-bean-chicken-with-rice/ 

Getting started is not the hardest part in the working out process—sticking to it is. If you keep with it for at least 60 days straight and create a habit, you will soon master it in no time. You may even run a marathon by the end of the year. This new year, be healthy, start it strong and commit to your fitness journey—you’ll be surprised where it takes you.