North News Now
The Student News Site of Edmond North High School

The Pawprint | ENHS

The Pawprint | ENHS

The Pawprint | ENHS

How to Be a Champion

Senior+Dylan+Warlick+
ENHS Athletics
Senior Dylan Warlick

The boys and girls basketball teams at Edmond North have been working day in and out to snag back-to-back state titles. Before school, after school, and even during the holidays, the teams practiced relentlessly to become champions. 

This hard work and dedication all start with a love for the sport. 

Senior Kailea ‘KK’ Peeler, the captain of North’s girls’ basketball team, reflects on what motivates her.

“My mom has coached basketball since I was born, and I liked being around her while she was coaching—I grew up in the gym, so it stuck with me.” 

Girls’ Basketball Team on the bench cheering (Yearbook)

Senior Tatum Ridge, who has been playing since a very young age, explains his love for the sport in a different manner. 

“I started playing basketball because I love the competitive aspect of the game.”

Each player has a personal reason as to why they play basketball—this helps them show up to 5 a.m. practices before a long day at school even when they don’t really feel like it. 

Leaders Who Teach Leadership

Coaches are another reason for the winning streak at Edmond North. The methodology in their coaching may vary, but the overarching theme that is important to all the coaches is to give back to the students. 

“I wanted to give back to young athletes all of the leadership that I learned growing up,” said Pete Papahronis, head coach of the girls’ basketball team. 

The support and encouragement the coaches provide lead to great success in our players.

Senior Dayzjah Moore understands the importance of her coaches: “During season I feel like I stay disciplined  because… my coach pushes me.” 

Scott Norris, coach of the boys’ basketball team, takes a similar approach. He states, “In high school, I decided I wanted to be a coach and have an influence on young people.” 

And he has. He coached the Edmond North basketball team to victory and success in life.

Along with all the coaches, parents also play an important role in the success of our team. 

Edmond North’s principal, Dandy Peeler, reflects on being the mother of a player. 

“I am proud to be a basketball mom.  I have played two different roles throughout KK’s basketball career—I have coached her in the summer, and I have been her biggest fan in the stands.” 

The Mindset of a Champion 

With the school’s record of back-to-back state championships, the pressure to continue to improve and perform can be daunting for each player both mentally and physically.

When asked about these expectations and going into the next season following the state championship, Senior Chiante Tramble remarks “(I try to) to stay level-headed—not getting a big head about it.”

Taking one game at a time and performing skills perfected in practice are important in developing consistency.

Senior Chiante Tramble

Remaining grounded and focused is also key to managing the nerves and racking up more Ws. 

“I just try to stay focused on my role and what I have to do,” says Senior, Bryce Pots. 

Senior Mallory Jackson reflects, “I try to get focused and ready to play—I’m nervous and also excited.” 

Senior Bryce Pots (YearBook )

But to win state championships, the entire team must have a champion mindset. When asked what are the markers of a strong team, the Huskies of Edmond North share:

“Hard work.” -Senior, Kate Melton 

“Discipline.” -Senior, Dontrell Yearby 

“Culture.” – Coach Pete Papahronis 

Dunking into a New Season  

A culture of hard work and discipline is lived in enduring grueling practices, focusing on the love of the game and developing a winning mindset. None of this is possible without the support of parents, coaches and fans that believe in our Huskies. 

This season started with amazing wins such as the girls’ team winning the Mustang Holiday Classic, and the boys’ team winning the 2023 Tulsa Tournament of Champions. 

One of our girls’ basketball stars, Senior Allison Heathcock, broke the Edmond North record with 34 points in a single game, showing that this season is truly unlike any before. 

When asked about how Allison feels about the season she said, “I feel super confident. I feel like we worked hard for the upcoming months and we definitely have everything it takes to win it all again.”

Senior Allison Heathcock (YearBook)