North News Now
The Student News Site of Edmond North High School

The Pawprint | ENHS

The Pawprint | ENHS

The Pawprint | ENHS

Underage Voting: A Titanic of an Idea?

stock.adobe.com
stock.adobe.com

When I look around a room of 16 and 17-year-olds my first thought is not and never will be, “Wow! I think these people should vote.” 

In hopes of raising voter registration and turnout, the small town of Brattleboro, Vermont has lowered the voting age to 16 and 17. 

Now, I’m not saying that all teenagers are stupid and should never be allowed to voice their opinions. I’m saying that it may be possible that many teenagers are not prepared for what the real world has to offer. Many people I know in this age range I would trust in making decisions that would benefit us all, but at the same time, I sit next to people in class who thought “Titanic” was just a movie that made big waves in the box office and not in the North Atlantic.

I do not mean to put down my peers or belittle their intelligence, but there are many people I know who I would not trust to vote. Many 16 and 17-year-olds don’t even have jobs or can drive, and many have no sense of responsibility. Full disclosure: I don’t have a job either. In a way, I wouldn’t even trust myself to vote responsibly. 

However, it is not just about the ill-informed at the polls, because we already have enough of those, it’s also about how some things these teens will be voting on currently have nothing to do with them and how parents can use this opportunity to use their children as an extra vote. Many parents intentionally pass along their political views to their children in order to advance their ideologies.

During World War II, those 21 and older were allowed to vote; however, Franklin D. Roosevelt lowered the draft age from 21 to 18 during his presidency. Then, President Lynden B. Johnson lowered the voting age when the slogan “old enough to fight, old enough to vote,” which originated during FDR’s presidency, became popularized again. 

If other towns follow in the footsteps of Brattleboro, could it be possible that the draft age will be lowered once again to 16 or 17? The draft is already a controversial topic and lowering it would cause outrage among many who believe drafting people who are still considered children to be immoral, especially with the reoccurring debate over a “World War III”. 

18 is a perfectly fine age to begin voting. If 16 or 17-year-olds want to vote, it would be beneficial if there was another step that would still allow but ensure they are aware of what they are participating in. Some people believe that a test or preparation for voting in the classroom is the way to go. Yes, this would deter some young voters from participating in the polls and does toe the line of voter suppression, but for a group that could not previously vote, this fail-safe would ensure that they are not just an extra vote for their parent.